It was an up and down day for me yesterday (Saturday). I initially fell down at stupid hurdle no.1 when I constructed my cooler incorrectly, DOH!!! It probably didn’t help I was trying to watch/listen to the qualifying for Sundays grand prix. Finally sorted that out after much cussing and brought the machine downstairs to my study for the OS install. Of course there was the massive relief I felt when the machine posted.
So I tried to install Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. I tried and I tried, switching off things in the BIOS, using Windows 7 32 Professional and so on, it just wouldn’t get past the 5% expanding for the install. Finally thought, lets go to one stick of memory (Which I should have done earlier, especially considering I was using 3 x 2GB). OS installed. So over night I left it at 2 GB. I woke up this morning (Sunday) and installed Prime 95 64bit for a bit of a stress test. So while running this, the CPU temperature jumped from 37 degrees to 64 degrees, mmmmm a little bit hot, so back upstairs to remove the cooler, cleaned the old paste off and try again with the thermal paste. I did notice an inconsistent spread pattern with the old paste, so applied a glob of paste in the centre and screwed the cooler down TIGHT.
Re ran the tests and temperature jumped from 37 to 58/60 degrees, so better than before, but I will check other peoples results just to get a benchmark. Now this test is thrashing the ass off the CPU and memory, which by the way is now at 4GB, running in dual channel mode. I tried the 2nd stick in memory slot B1 and it crashed on bootup, so tried the 3rd stick in B1 and that worked fine, and managed the stress test. So this tends to indicate that memory slot B1 wasn’t causing the problem. So I will drop the “damaged” 2nd memory stick into slot C1 and see how that goes.
Now before I started this rebuild, I had performed some mickey mouse tests on the old setup with 3d mark 06 0110. So we have following the before and after scores:-
1. Total Mark 8217, SM2 4273, CPU 1685 (AMD X2 4400, 2GB, 8800GTX).
2. Total Mark 13970, SM2 5653, CPU 4913 (Intel I7 920, 2GB, 8800GTX).
Now if you notice, the SM2 mark went up, which indicates that the GFX card was being under supplied by my old CPU, however most of the bump in my score came from the CPU portion.
Within Warhammer that translated to about 95 fps in warcamps in High Quality mode, down to the low 40’s in a busy New Emshranks. I did drop down the draw distance to the middle setting, since I didn’t see the point in looking really far into the distance.
So all in all, the last couple of days which have been pretty tense. More soon.